Janie Ward-Engelking is proud to represent District 18 as its state senator. Janie doesn’t just talk about helping children and families, she rolls up her sleeves and gets the job done. From serving as a classroom teacher, team mom, and a community volunteer, Janie knows that children need access to quality teachers, rigorous curriculum, and a classroom setting that promotes learning.
Education is the best economic development tool we have. Companies need a highly educated work force and students need jobs so they can stay in Idaho. These are serious times and they require creative solutions and a common sense approach. Janie Ward-Engelking is an experienced, common sense leader who has spent a lifetime making things work.
Janie Ward-Engelking is:
- A native Idahoan. She grew up on a small farm near Marsing with four brothers. Janie and her husband, Kay Engelking, raised five children in Idaho and are currently watching seven wonderful grandchildren thrive in the area.
- A graduate from Vallivue High School in Caldwell, Idaho. After graduation, she attended Whittier College, received a Bachelor of Science degree from Idaho State University, and a master’s degree from Boise State University.
- A 31-year resident of District 18
- A former classroom teacher of 33 years
- Strong voice in advocating for the children of Idaho
- Part of a community interview team to pick the current superintendent of the Boise School District
- Chairperson for numerous committees in her professional organization
- A member of the steering committee and facilitator for a public school summit for parents, educators, and businesses (S.P.E.A.K.)
- Member of a community drug advisory committee
- Part of the Statesman/Channel 7 interview team for statewide candidates
- Past member of Phi Delta Kappa (Education group)
- Past member of Boise Junior League
- Curriculum writer and trainer for the College of Western Idaho
- Trainer and facilitator for building community partnerships throughout the state
- A former Idaho State Representative
- An Idaho State Senator since 2014